Eagle Harbor Book Co. Consignment Policy
Eagle Harbor Book Company is proud of our connection with the local writing community and our long history of supporting Bainbridge Island and other local authors. We have provided shelf space to local and independent authors for over four decades, providing a retail outlet for local authors to make their work available to our customers.
If your book has been published by an established publisher that we order from on a regular basis, and we decide to carry it, we will purchase it directly from that publisher. If that is the case, you are welcome to send us notification of your book's publication to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Otherwise if your book is self-published or not readily available through our normal wholesalers or is only available on a non-returnable basis, we offer you the opportunity for us to sell it on a consignment basis. We do require a non-refundable service fee of $25 per title for adult books and $10 per title for poetry and children’s titles.
You will find the terms and guidelines for the consignment program at EHBC. If these terms are acceptable, please feel free to drop off a completed, signed agreement form, the service fee, and two copies of your book at the book store. If you are interested in doing reading or book signing at the store, please read our Event Booking Policy.
The Consignment Agreement Form must be submitted for each different title (not each book) you will be consigning with us. Due to the heavy volume of submissions, it usually takes 5 to 10 days for books to be processed and placed on the shelves. Please do not leave your books with us without a form or service fee, as they will not be processed for sale.
If you should have any specific questions not addressed by these terms, please feel free to contact Susan Braun, Consignment Coordinator via email email@example.com or call (206) 842-5332.
Eagle Harbor Book Company reserves the right to make any final decisions on accepting a book; if we feel we cannot successfully sell your book, we will notify you within 10 days and hold your books to be picked up and your fee will be returned to you. Review decisions made by our buyers are final.
Eagle Harbor Book Co. Consignment Guidelines
- We are committed to supporting local authors and our local community. Books from outside our community will not be accepted if we feel we cannot sell them successfully.
- We will only consider books that meet professional standards. To be considered for our program, your book(s) must have the following:
- A printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name
- A 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Professional editing with no obvious errors
- A price comparable to other titles of its size and genre.
- Consignment book management is very labor-intensive: setting up unique records, tracking sales, and managing the inventory must be done individually and by hand. We collect a non-refundable service fee of $25 for each different title (not each book); service fee for local poetry or children’s titles is $10.
- Our pricing terms follow the book industry standard of 60/40, where 60% of the retail price (set by the author) is payable to the author, and 40% is kept by Eagle Harbor Book Company.
- We prefer to stock no more than two copies for a new title. When these copies sell and we need more, we will contact you. If you are scheduled for an author presentation, you will be asked to provide additional books for us to sell during your presentation.
- Books by Bainbridge Island authors will be displayed in a separately identified area to give them unique visibility. Books by other local authors will be shelved within the book collection by book type (fiction, cooking, travel, health, etc.).
- Space for our book collection is very limited. We review sales performance every three to six months. If, after a minimum three-month trial, we feel sales are too low, we will discontinue carrying your book(s), and ask you to pick them up at the bookstore. Books will be held for pick-up for two months, or until the consignor picks them up (whichever comes first). If the consignor fails to respond at the end of two months, the books become property of EHBC and they will be donated.
- We pay quarterly for book sales, by the end of the month following the regular Accounting Quarter. Payments for sales are usually mailed by the end of April, July, October, and January.
- When consignment books achieve a solid sales history, they become eligible for conversion to wholesaler fulfilled titles.
- On consignment, the book remains the property of the consignor until sold. EHBC is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged merchandise.
- An Events Package is offered separately.