Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #1) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the Aubrey/Maturin Novels series.
- #2: Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #2) (Paperback): $15.95
- #3: H. M. S. Surprise (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #3) (Paperback): $15.95
- #4: The Mauritius Command (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #4) (Paperback): $15.95
- #5: Desolation Island (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #5) (Paperback): $16.95
- #6: The Fortune of War (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #6) (Paperback): $15.95
- #7: The Surgeon's Mate (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #7) (Paperback): $15.95
- #8: The Ionian Mission (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #8) (Paperback): $15.95
- #9: Treason's Harbour (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #9) (Paperback): $15.95
- #10: The Far Side of the World (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #10) (Paperback): $15.95
- #11: The Reverse of the Medal (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #11) (Paperback): $15.95
- #12: The Letter of Marque (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #12) (Paperback): $15.95
- #13: The Thirteen Gun Salute (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #13) (Paperback): $15.95
- #14: The Nutmeg of Consolation (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #14) (Paperback): $15.95
- #15: The Truelove (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #15) (Paperback): $15.95
- #16: The Wine-Dark Sea (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #16) (Paperback): $15.95
- #17: The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #17) (Paperback): $15.95
- #18: The Yellow Admiral (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #18) (Paperback): $15.95
- #19: The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #19) (Paperback): $15.95
- #20: Blue at the Mizzen (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #20) (Paperback): $15.95
- #21: 21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #21) (Paperback): $18.95
This first novel begins the epic adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey and his ship’s physician, naturalist, and unlikely international spy, Stephen Maturin, during the Napoleonic Wars. The series is astonishingly rich in character development, history, thrilling adventure, humor, high drama, romance, and the details of a life at sea in military service. The surprises and pleasures throughout are constant. I’ve read all twenty in the series, and look forward to reading them all again! ~ McNevin— From McNevin
The classic first novel of the epic Aubrey/Maturin series, widely considered “the best historical novels ever written” (Richard Snow, New York Times).
Ardent, gregarious British naval officer Jack Aubrey is elated to be given his first appointment as commander: the fourteen-gun ship HMS Sophie. Meanwhile—after a heated first encounter that nearly comes to a duel—Aubrey and a brilliant but down-on-his-luck physician, Stephen Maturin, strike up an unlikely rapport. On a whim, Aubrey invites Maturin to join his crew as the Sophie’s surgeon. And so begins the legendary friendship that anchors this beloved saga set against the thrilling backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars.
Through every ensuing adventure on which Aubrey and Maturin embark, from the witty parley of their lovers and enemies to the roar of broadsides as great ships close in battle around them, O’Brian “provides endlessly varying shocks and surprises—comic, grim, farcical and tragic.… [A] whole, solidly living world for the imagination to inhabit” (A. S. Byatt).
About the Author
One of our greatest contemporary novelists, Patrick O’Brian is the author of the twenty volumes of the best-selling Aubrey/Maturin series, as well as many other books, including Testimonies, The Golden Ocean, The Unknown Shore, and biographies of Joseph Banks and Picasso.
A few books work their way… onto [bestseller] lists by genuine, lasting excellence—witness The Lord of the Rings, or Patrick O’Brian’s sea stories.
— Ursula K. Le Guin
I love these books.… [They offer] the same sense of lived experience as Hilary Mantel.… They will sweep you away and return you delighted, increased and stunned. If the phrase ‘Napoleonic war fiction’ fills you with anticipation, then you don’t need me to convince you to read O’Brian. But for the rest of you.… [P]lease, just trust me.
— Nicola Griffith - NPR